AirDrop makes sharing files between any Apple device seamless. However, while using AirDrop, sometimes you might see multiple devices with the same name and this can put you in a tricky situation where you might have a hard time determining which device to send your files to. In this article, we will share how to change the AirDrop name on iPhone, iPad, and MacBook in a few simple steps.
Things to Consider
1. Before you move forward, make sure your Apple device is AirDrop compatible. You should have an iPhone 5 or later and iPad (4th Gen) or later and both running at least running iOS 7 (starting in 2019, Apple began using iPadOS 13 for its iPad lineup). On the other hand, your MacBook should be running at least OS X 10.7 Lion (now macOS).
To check iOS and iPadOS versions on your iPhone and iPad, navigate to Settings General About.
For Mac: System Settings General About.
2. When you and the receiver both have each other’s contact saved on their Apple device, you will see the name of the contact on AirDrop. However, if the contact isn’t saved, the name of your iPhone will be visible instead.
How to Change AirDrop Name on iPhone
Changing your iPhone’s AirDrop name is a pretty straightforward task. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and then move to the General section.
2. Then go to the About page and tap the Name option.
3. Now enter your desired name in the text field.
That’s it. Now you’ll see the newly named AirDrop profile on the AirDrop screen.
How to Change AirDrop Name on iPad
Changing your iPad’s AirDrop name is also similar to iPhone and just takes about the same amount of time. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
1. Open the Settings app on our iPad.
2. Then navigate to the General section and select the About option.
3. Next, tap on the Name.
4. Now enter the name that you wish to display on the AirDrop screen.
After completing the renaming process, the AirDrop screen will display your new AirDrop name.
How to Change AirDrop Name on MacBook
The steps to change your MacBook’s AirDrop name are also similar to that of the iPhone and iPad. Within a few clicks, you will be able to achieve that. Here’s how:
1. Click on the Apple logo located in the top left corner and select System Settings.
2. Next, move to the General section and then choose the About setting.
3. Now click on the Name field and enter your desired name for the AirDrop profile.
Now you’ll be able to see your new AirDrop name on other users’ Apple devices.
Can’t See Apple Devices on AirDrop Screen
If you don’t see your Apple device, then make sure your AirDrop is not turned off.
iPhone or iPad users can simply open the Control Center and firmly press the network icon (top left corner). Now tap on the AirDrop Icon and choose the Contacts Only or Everyone option accordingly.
Mac Users can go to System Settings General AirDrop & Handoff. From there you can either go with the Contacts Only or Everyone option.
If your AirDrop is already enabled and yet, it is not showing your device name, you should restart your Apple device and see if it works. Even after that issue still persists, you can then check out our comprehensive guide on what to do when AirDrop stops working.
1. What to do if the device isn’t displaying the new AirDrop name?
It hardly takes a second to update your new AirDrop name. But in case your device isn’t displaying the new AirDrop name, then you can try restarting your Apple device. That would do the trick.
2. Can you use AirDrop without Wi-Fi or Bluetooth?
No, AirDrop doesn’t use your cellular network, but it requires Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to create connections between two devices to transfer files.
3. How many times can you change your AirDrop name?
There is no such limitation on changing the AirDrop name.
4. Will changing the name of the iPhone also change its Bluetooth name?
Changing the iPhone name not just changes the AirDrop name but also Bluetooth and Personal Hotspot name.
Change AirDrop Name for Better Device Identification
Having a lot of Apple products nearby can make it confusing when you need to transfer or receive files from other Apple devices. So it is important to have a unique AirDrop name to make it easier to find your device.
Do you own an Apple Watch too? Here’s a neat trick where you can receive sound notifications on both your iPhone and Watch.
The post How to Change Your AirDrop Name on iPhone, iPad, and Mac appeared first on TechWiser.